BlueTech Webinar: A Focus on Pressure Retarded Osmosis
Recorded on Thursday, April 24, 2014:
11:00 am - 12:30 pm Eastern US Time;
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm British Time
BlueTech® Research, in conjunction with B2B Webinars, would like to invite you to our upcoming interactive webinar on the current status and future projections for pressure retarded osmosis technologies and applications.
Pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) is an exciting new area of the water technology industry. PRO is one application of forward osmosis and could represent a major market growth area for the membrane industry. Situated at the intersection of water and energy, it offers the potential to further reduce the energy footprint of desalination through energy recovery from brine concentrates. As a renewable energy technology, it can provide stable-based load power wherever there is a source of saltwater and freshwater.
The area has been a source of recent controversy with the announcement that Statkraft was leaving this area. Statkraft was a pioneer in this area and spearheaded many groundbreaking work and projects. Their departure was a setback for a nascent sector. However, there is a quiet but steady movement in the industry to commercialize PRO, ranging from the work on the Japanese mega ton project to the Hydro Quebec project and the work of innovators and researchers.
This webinar will shed light on the current status of PRO, as well as the likely time frame for future development. A panel of leading experts, each with a complementary perspective on the topic, will present on the opportunities and challenges as they see them and engage in an interactive dialogue with webinar attendees through facilitated Q&A.
- H2O Innovation will speak about some of its research work in this area, why the company has chosen to focus on this area, and where there is potential for the technology. H2O Innovation will also speak about its current project under development with Hydro Quebec.
- Porifera will discuss where it sees interest, market pull, and opportunity in PRO, especially in desalination plants. It will provide its perspective on promising membrane configurations and the results found in its FO membranes.
- Colorado School of Mines will provide a perspective on the general landscape of different membrane companies and various applications of PRO, as well as the barriers PRO will need to overcome to move forward.
- IDE, a leading Israeli desalination company, will speak about IDE's new PRO membrane module in two variations: the design of PRO plant for seawater or river water applications.
Questions to be answered include:
- What is the current status of osmotic power? How many years until it is considered economical? What are the hurdles?
- How much power (watts) can be generated per m2 of membrane area? Is this an important metric for measuring economic viability or should it come down to cost per watt?
- What companies and research groups are active and taking charge in this area?
- To what extent will the area be limited or enabled by new forward osmosis membranes? What are the newest membrane materials being used and developed? What is the potential for breakthrough and in what time frame?
- Where are the near term commercial applications for PRO? Will it be energy from brine concentrate, or energy from freshwater and saltwater?
Who should attend?
- Investors looking to understand the market opportunity in pressure retarded osmosis and osmotic power.
- Water industry executives looking to maintain (or establish) a competitive advantage and inform strategic moves in this growing market segment.
- Technology providers looking for technology gaps and unmet needs.
- Consultants, policy makers and regulators looking to stay on top of the latest market trends and the state of technological innovation in the PRO market segment.
Paul O’Callaghan, CEO, O2 Environmental, BlueTech Research
Guillaume Clairet, Executive VP, H2O Innovation
Erik Desormeaux, Director of Process Design, Porifera
Dr. Tzahi Cath, Associate Professor of Environmental Science and Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
Dr. Boris Liberman, CTO Membrane Technology, IDE Technologies
About B2B Webinars
B2B Webinars.net is a subsidiary of Information Forecast Inc., celebrating more than 25 years of successfully presenting industry defining events and webinars. B2Bwebinars.net (previously known as “Infocast” Webinars) provides the cutting edge information and key intelligence that business leaders use to drive growth in the numerous industries that we serve. Our production team works closely with senior industry leaders to design and produce the most informative, knowledge based business events available anywhere. Whether you are attending, speaking, moderating or sponsoring, being part of one of our 90-minute online seminars will raise your industry standing, introduce you to vital business connections and position you and your firm as a leading industry voice.
About BlueTech Research
How It Works
Single Connection: $245.00
Additional Connection at the same Organization: $150.00
A site connection allows a single connection to the web conference. That connection is open to any number of users in a collaborative setting. Because there are no travel expenses and only a single registration fee is required, each additional participant lowers the cost per participant significantly.
By purchasing a site connection, you can invite as many people as you would like to view and participate in the session from a single location. Set up the session in a conference room and project the presentation and chat on a large screen. You also have rights to distribute copies of the presentation materials to everyone involved. Please note that audio is received via the phone line and must be broadcast to your group.
If for any reason a relevant stakeholder cannot co-locate for the session, we encourage you to include that person by purchasing an additional connection at the reduced fee of $150 per session. This will ensure that every member of a team receives the same relevant, timely information in the most efficient way. If you have any technical or purchasing questions, please contact us at (818) 888-4444.
CANCELLATION, REFUNDS & CREDITS
Should you be unable to attend, a refund, less a $50 administrative charge, will be made for cancellations received via letter or fax at least 3 working days before the event. We regret cancellations will not be accepted after that date. However, we will be pleased to transfer your registration to another member of your company or credit the registration fee to another Infocast conference if you register within 6 months from the date of this conference. In the event the conference is canceled, Infocast’s liability is limited to the refund of the conference registration fee only.